Saturday, January 10, 2015

Dickens World, Leeds Castle and Updates

Today we went to Dicken's World and Leeds castle. Dicken's world reminded me a lot of the equivalent to Plymouth Plantation for Victorian England, plus some extra information about Charles Dicken's. It was a recreation of Camden with actors portraying life in Victorian England. We saw home life, school life, life in a debtors jail and even old magic tricks! Even though I was not in the class connected to the Dicken's portions of the trip, it was fun an interactive and more like a theme park (even though the Victorian actor man freaked me out). We ate at a cute American style diner (a lot like Dave's Diner in Middleboro) and I got this delicious coffee milkshake. 



Leeds castle was very different than any of the other castles we visited. The gardens and land surrounding the castle was more beautiful to me than the actual castle as it was filled with water and birds and plant life. There were peacocks and swans, and most famously, black swans! Who knew it wasn't just a movie about ballet? The castle did not disappoint though, and I felt like because it was smaller than Windsor and Buckingham when we toured the inside I was able to see so much more of it than the other castles. However the novelty wasn't as evident as only one king, Henry VIII was ever said to live there. I was able to throw a coin in the water and make a wish, reminding me of my visit to the trevi fountain. The tranquility gave me a lot of time to just sit and reflect on how I can't believe my trip is already half over, and how thankful I am to have taken this opportunity for myself. I have seen more people of nationalities I didn't even know existed, heard languages I couldn't decipher, learned English history that I didn't know I didn't know, and have developed independent travel skills that will help me forever (like being able to figure out the tube and the bus). I am so glad I didn't let anyone or anything talk me out of going on this trip. My only possible regret so far is not convincing someone close to me to come along, as I think having someone with the same interests as me would make it more fun at night. Not to mention just the comfort of traveling with someone you know is nice. However, I have been taking this opportunity to get to know the 17 strangers I embarked with, and am making friends with many of them. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves with its romantic feel, and you can imagine how I got lost in thought just bench sitting and watching the birds. 






Also! Today I bought my first souvenir. When I went to Italy, I bought myself a cameo necklace and a pendant from the Vatican. To continue my collection of international jewlery, I got a hand made chain maille bracelet to represent all the Historical places I have visited (which are often covered in traditional medieval armor) and it even incorporates my favorite color. I thought it was just beautiful and had to have it. 


Some personal updates: 
Our flat is like unnaturally warm at night. I think this is the reason I've been waking up in the middle of the night every night and have not been able to get back to sleep. However, today we are looking into turning down the thermostat and turning off some of the radiators, thank God. Took almost a week but it is time to escape hades and get some rest...because I am beat! All the walking, fresh air, early mornings and lack of sleep is catching up to me, and by the end of the day I struggle to stay awake. 
As for food, I am planning on trying my first official plate of English Fish & Chips tonight for dinner and can't wait. The bread over here is huge! The loaves just are so much bigger than the U.S and the slices come out super big! It's awesome! I do not like the yogurt I got at the grocery store though, it is very chunky and has like flavoring and goo at the bottom that you have to stur in, even though it was dannon brand. It was just strange and not my taste. I'm not really interested in trying much other traditional English food because meat pies just aren't my thing. 
I still am not used to driving on the opposite side of the road, and don't think I will ever get used to it. ITS SO WEIRD. 
There are tons of athletic people in London, runners are everywhere!
...also everyone is skinny which I think is because they give you such little food for the price you pay here, mostly everything seems overpriced. 
The coffee is gross! It's just always bitter and they never give you enough room to add enough milk (cream isn't even really a thing). But I drink it anyway due to exhaustion. 
There is a lot of Indian food in London which surprised me. It's like, everywhere. 
I bought a ticket to see Jersey Boys at Piccadilly theatre on Tuesday and I couldn't be more excited! 


Tomorrow is the big day where we visit Warner Bros Studios to see the Making of Harry Potter Tour and I'm sure that post will be extensive and annoying like this one, so I will go for now!




No comments:

Post a Comment