Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Tower of London, Ragged School Museum, Shopping and More!

So...the Tower of London is basically a castle with many towers. Like not one tower. I HAD NO IDEA. We took a tour from the "beef eaters" or Yeoman Warders who were hilarious and educational - and showed me how little I actually know about English history. But it was so cool to explore the towers and walk ways with amazing architecture and views! Also, I have never seen anything in my life as beautiful and sparkly and fabulous as the Crown Jewels. It was funny because I couldn't believe that they actually used a savor and orb for coronation just like they do in frozen! But they had so much real life sparkle and pizazz and I was so impressed. 



After that we travelled to the Ragged School Museum. I had no idea it was still a functional school for about 90 kids a week! Thomas Barnardo originally founded the school for poor kids living in London's East Side, where he gave them amazing opportunities to learn to read, have a place to eat, and even obtain clothes they would otherwise not be able to afford. When the tour guide said that Barnardo had over 600 students enrolled at one time and classes of over 60 students each of all grade levels I was shocked- this is possibly more students than I will ever teach in my entire teaching career. It really puts things into perspective of the problems modern educators face vs those of educators years ago. Instead of struggling with common core and mcas, Barnardo struggled with having his kids even meet basic needs and having heat in the classroom, not to mention he must have been a master of differenciated instruction! The guide also mentioned that Barnardo was able to raise millions of dollars on his own to expand and fund his school, which would equate to multi-billions in today's economy. As we struggle with school funding, I wonder why we don't look back at great teachers like him and mirror his actions, because clearly it worked, but times are changing fast. It really was incredible to see the condition of the school, the antique desks, the old photographs and shocking stories of poverty in East London, which could all be used as a future tool in education of showing kids what school was like in the "olden days" in another country which really, we're not THAT long ago. 





Next we did some fun, less educational shopping previews on Oxford street and I have to say the Disney store was my favorite so far. So cute!! All in all, the tube is so easy to navigate and right there, and I'm adjusting pretty well to the time difference. I'm looking forward to more double decker bus touring tomorrow, and obviously, more shopping! 







No comments:

Post a Comment