Thursday, January 15, 2015

Some Closing Thoughts

Having a pretty nostalgic night as we pack our things and get ready to kiss London goodbye tomorrow evening. I thought I would take this lovely opportunity to bore you all with some of my highlights, lowlights, and other observations I don't think I have discussed yet. 

So flying. I still hate flying. I still feel sick. I still get nervous. Medicine still only helps a little. Flights still get delayed for hours, and no matter how cool they make airplanes, altitude sickness still exists. So I'm not looking forward to tomorrow. (If anyone can explain how my 5 hr flight here is an 7 hr flight home I would appreciate that because it makes no sense to me). 

The moments I loved most in relation to taking children's lit and being an education major were:
Harry Potter - as I tiredly tried to explain in the Warner Bros post, I was able to see first hand children's literature and a marketable and lucradive marketplace, which sometimes gets forgotten. I also had my eyes opened the the intricate art that is children's literature from text, to page, to composition, to the big screen. 
The Story Museum - this place got me thinking about learning internationally and interculturally, and how countries separated by the Atlantic can be facing similar problems in literacy. This place was full of information and curiosity!

Some things about London that were funny to me that I still haven't posted:
There are no intersections. Okay there are. But there are a TON of rotaries. And the people love them! So it's funny that they are trying to get rid of the one singular one we have in Middleboro. 
Museums are free! I think that people in America might benefit and like the experience they can get from a museum if they didn't have to pinch their pockets to do so, free learning!
I've never actually seen anyone use a telephone booth. They're just for decoration now I suppose, and some have even been put in for wifi! The 21st century is a funny place. 
The options for take out are mostly boxed and bagged sandwiches, and if you don't like ham or tuna you're out of luck. The seemingly go to sand which take out was tuna and cucumber. How strange to me (plus tuna is gross!)

Now I am on the plane on the way home and looking forward to some (very short) time before the semester starts. I can't believe how real london made everything we studied in class and how fulfilling it was to travel internationally again. Here are some of the last pictures I took. 



You can see my group featured on this FSU Facebook page, and there has even been rumors of us making the FSU website!

Thank you so much to everyone who followed my blog! It was so motivating to post stuff about and for class and just be chatty with you all while I was over there. It meant so much to me that you all travelled with me through words, especially since I went on this trip with a group of English majors. I hope to get to fill each and every one of you in when I get home. I hope you enjoyed what I wrote as much as I enjoyed posting for you and hopefully, as my grade relies on, Dr. Holloway deemed appropriate for our Children's Literature course. Feel free to comment on my blog and tell her how great of a blogger I am, as it will encourage her grading on a jet lagged mind. LOL JUST KIDDING DR. HOLLOWAY (;

About 5 hours till Boston folks! That's all!





No comments:

Post a Comment